For the experiment you will need:
-A large, clean plastic bowl of water.
-A colored card - the book suggests paper, but I used a plastic folder divider.
-Scissors
-Dishwashing liquid
1. You draw the shape of your boat on the colored card (any shape will do). Then you cut it out.
*It would be best for young students to draw the shape first, but I just cut out a simple triangle.*
2. Place your boat on the water and let it float. Carefully place it into position.
3. Squeeze a drop of dishwashing liquid onto your finger.
4. Dip your finger in the water, just behind the boat. The boat will shoot forward across the bowl. *You may need to turn volume up*
The dishwashing liquid weakens the surface tension behind the boat. It works because the soap gives off an oily film that rushes outwards, breaking down the surface tension of the water. The surface tension is stronger in front of the boat and causes the boat to pull forward.
Mini Lesson time!

Very good. You have shown us how to use pictures, texts and a video to demonstrate an experiment effectively. I enjoy that.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! I think students will really enjoy doing this experiment. Your blog looks awesome!
ReplyDeleteGreat! The pictures and video really help show how to do the experiement! This is a safe one to do in the classroom with students in groups!
ReplyDeleteSuper cool! You could do this and let the kids have a race.....they would LOVE it!!! And then you could ask what caused the winning boat to be faster. Great job! Blog page looks AWESOME!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou did a really great job and I really loved your blog layout!
ReplyDelete